10 Fun Facts: Featuring the Monterey Conference Center
Guest Post by Nancy Whitman, Director of Sales & Events, City of Monterey & Monterey Conference Center
I'm often asked, about all the upgrades and features here at the NEW Monterey Conference Center (MCC), as well a bit of the history about our facility. I believe it is important, that not only our guests and groups visiting Monterey know about all the amazing aspects of the MCC, but it's important for our local community and businesses to learn about this fabulous, regional resource.
Having completed our $60 Million renovation in January of 2018, the new MCC is truly a jewel in the crown of our wonderful City. Our Mission Statement summarizes it perfectly:
"The Monterey Conference Center is the focal point for welcoming and encouraging cultural and economic prosperity for the City of Monterey. By providing a modern, state-of-the-art meeting facility combined with award winning service and professionalism, we strive to go beyond the expectations of our guests and provide them with an experience unsurpassed in the industry."
Mission Statement, Monterey Conference Center
So here it goes, my favorite, 10 fun facts about the Monterey Conference Center:
1. The New MCC is in the process of adding solar panels to the roof to help be more energy efficient and add to our pending LEED® Certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.
2. The original mural from the side of the MCC has been restored and was recently reinstalled, it is now better lit and easier to view along the wall on the Pacific Street side of the building.
Photo Courtesy of the Monterey Conference Center
3. The MCC was awarded 2018 Best Conference Center by Meetings and Events, as well as Smart Meetings.
4. The MCC was the original "birth place" of TED Talks.
5. The new MCC brought back many art pieces from the original center including "The Dolphins", which boasts thousands of inlaid wood pieces. It is quite the stunner.
6. The MCC is owned and operated by The City of Monterey.
7. The MCC is just 300 steps from the waterfront and the Coastal Recreation Trail.
8. The world-famous RM Sotheby's Car Auction takes place inside MCC each August during Monterey Car Week and has been the place of many world record setting automobile sales.
9. The new MCC features not just drinking fountains, but refillable bottle stations to encourage reusable drink containers versus single use containers.
10. The top floor of the MCC received a complete overhaul during the renovation. The entire facility now boasts 40,000+ square feet of meeting space and has a capacity of 3,200.
To learn more about the Monterey Conference Center visit http://www.montereyconferencecenter.com/