In honor of National Bake Cookie Day, we are sharing two of our favorite recipes for holiday cookies!
There is something special about the smell of cookies baking in your oven. The aroma seems to fill your home, and everyone is happy to volunteer and sample the first batch. Now that we are spending more time at home, it's great to find an activity like baking cookies that the entire family can enjoy.
If baking holiday cookies is on your weekend agenda, then try one of Portola Hotel's favorite seasonal cookie recipes: Pumpkin Spice Cookies and Chewy Molasses Spice Cookies. Grab your measuring spoons, put on your apron, and let the baking begin!
Pumpkin Spice Cookies
- 2 1/2 C All-purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tbs Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 C Unsalted Butter
- 1 1/4 C Sugar
- 1/2 C Pumpkin Puree
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Cinnamon & Sugar Topping
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 3 TBS Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees and set aside your baking sheets with parchment paper or baking mats.
- In a medium bowl, use a whisk to mix the flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, using an electric mixer beat together the butter and sugar until all combined.
- Add the pumpkin puree, egg, and vanilla to the butter and sugar mixture until smooth.
- Mix in half of the flour mixture to the wet mixture until well combined, and then add the remaining flour mixture until all of your ingredients are combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
- Using a two-ounce cookie scoop to drop balls onto your prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon and sugar topping.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes and allow cookies to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 2 dozen
Pumpkin Spice Cookies pair well with vanilla ice cream, milk, or white wine.
If you are looking for warmer, sweeter, and smoky flavor. Dark and medium molasses boasts a very robust flavor, light molasses has the mildest flavor, and blackstrap molasses is considerably less sweet with a distinct bitterness
Chewy Molasses Spice Cookies
- 1 C Butter
- 3 C Sugar + 2 Tbs for Topping
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tbs White Vinegar
- 3/4 C Molasses
- 3 1/3 C Flour
- 1 Tbs Baking Soda
- 1 Tbs Pumpkin Spice
- Preheat the oven to 325 F degrees and set aside your baking sheets with parchment paper or baking mats.
- In a medium bowl, beat together butter and sugar until fluffy, add eggs and mix well.
- Add molasses and vinegar to the mixture, and blend until everything is well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift and combine flour and baking soda, then add pumpkin pie spice.
- Stir in flour mixture (in small amounts at a time) to the wet mixture until combined.
- Using a two-ounce cookie scoop to drop balls onto prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- Bake for 9 to 10 minutes and allow cookies to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 2 dozen
Serve the Pumpkin Spice Cookies or Chewy Molasses Spice Cookies after a holiday dinner or leave out a plate with a glass of milk for Santa Claus. Happy Holidays from the Portola Hotel & Spa to your family. Wishing you a wonderful holiday season and a very happy New Year!