Peter B’s Brewpub Turns 25!
Next month, our very own craft brewery, Peter B’s Brewpub turns 25! We’ll be celebrating this milestone at Peter B’s on Saturday, September 18th at 2pm-10pm (while also kicking off Oktoberfest!). Enjoy ALL day Happy Hour, KRML broadcasting live from 2pm-4pm, a special Oktoberfest brew, outdoor games in the beer garden, a brewery tour at 4pm with Natalie Mika (our Head Brewer), and an hourly raffle from 3pm-9pm! For now, let’s take a stroll down memory lane and look at some highlights throughout the years.
Carmel Brewing Co. and the Monterey Doubletree Hotel (now Portola Hotel & Spa) partnered together to open a 150 seat brewpub and restaurant in the Portola Hotel. This would also serve as a showcase tasting room for Carmel Brewing Co. Peter B’s Brewpub became Monterey’s first craft brewery, and the first restaurant in Monterey to allow patrons to experience the brewing process firsthand.
An early image of Peter B’s Brewpub
- The Portola Hotel purchases the copper tank brewing system, and assumes the control of the entire brewing operation.
Copper Tanks at Peter B’s
- Kevin Clark joins Julian Andrew Wyer and the brewing team as Assistant Brewer.
Five House Ales are officially trademarked and named with unique labels
- Legend of Laguna IPA
- Belly Up Blonde
- Inclusion Amber Ale
- Stout Resistance
- Fort Ord Wheat
- Kevin Clark is promoted to Head Brewer.
- The brewery begins selling kegs of Peter B’s brews to the public.
Former Head Brewer, Kevin Clark
- The purchase of additional equipment takes place to expand the brewery and create a new cellar space to house seasonal ales and increase production.
- The debut of KRML’s Pub Talk at Peter B’s kicks off every Wednesday at 5pm with the Beer Geek and Beer Girl Geek, Chris Nelson and Merideth Canham-Nelson.
KRML Pub Talk on the Peter B’s Patio
- The brewery team begins bottling beer onsite and selling to restaurants and markets throughout Monterey County.
The first bottling session
- Eggstravaganza, an adult Easter egg hunt returns with 101.7 The Beach.
- Debuted a brand new Barrel Room for small, private events, designed and crafted by local artisan, Todd Wilde.
Before debuting our Barrel room
Peter B’s Barrel Room
- Midnight Lightning wins a Gold Medal at the World Beer Championships
- Peter B’s is voted the best Brewpub in Monterey/Santa Cruz Area by 107.5 KPIG.
KPIG trophy award for Best Brewpub
- Peter B’s is now producing 1,076 barrels of craft beer!
- The brewery welcomes a new Head Brewer, Justin Rivard.
- Peter B’s celebrates the 15thAnniversary of Peter B’s Mug Club, established in July of 2001.
Justin Rivard, former head brewer at Peter B’s Brewpub
- Peter B’s celebrates 20 years!
- Miss IIPA wins silver medal at Great American Beer Festival.
Miss IIPA, a fruity beer with pineapples
- Introduced Yoga + Beer Summer Series.
- Half Moon Helles, a crisp refreshing lager, is picked as the winner for Judges Choice at the California Beer Festival.
- Great White Buffalo wins a Gold Medal in the Los Angeles Beer Competition.
Winning the bronze medal for Tropic Maelstrom
- Collaborated with Acme Coffee Roasting to make Wile E.’s Anvil Stout, an espresso stout made with 25 pounds of freshly ground espresso.
The Team at Acme Coffee Roasting
- Molly by Golly, a dry Irish stout, wins Gold Medal at California State Fair Beer Competition.
- Peter B’s teams up with Dunloe Brewing to make Chance Encounter, a hoppy lager.
Chance Encounter, a hoppy lager
- Peter B’s and Humble Sea Brewing Co. collaborates to make Nordic Thunder, a double IPA.
- Peter B’s collaborates with Country Malt Group.
Collaborative brew made with Country Malt
- Natalie Mika joins the team as Assistant Brewer.
Natalie Mika joins the Peter B’s team as Assistant Brewer
- Peter B’s wins two bronze medals for Inclusion Amber and Stouts Without Borders at the California State Fair Commercial Beer Competition.
- Inclusion Amber Ale wins Gold Medal at the California Craft Brewers Cup in Standard British Ales Category.
Inclusion Amber Ale
- Soul Sacrifice, a chili pepper beer, wins the Best of Craft Beer Award Silver Medal.
- The team collaborates with brewers of Santa Cruz and Monterey to make Surf and Burps, a West Coast double IPA.
- Peter B’s makes an espresso milk stout with Acme Coffee Roasting.
- Peter B’s does a tap takeover at Fourth Street Taphouse where they featured six beers.
- The Peter B’s crew gets the chance to pour at San Francisco Beer Week’s Opening Gala.
Justin Rivard at Fourth Street Taphouse
- Natalie Mika is welcomed as the new Head Brewer, the first female head brewer at Peter B’s Brewpub!
Natalie Mika, current Head Brewer at Peter B’s Brewpub
- Peter B’s Brewpub reopens after a 15-month closure due to the Covid-19 Pandemic.
- String lights are installed in the Peter B’s Beer Garden.
- Peter B’s collaborates with Captain & Stoker to make Oat Captain, My Captain, an oatmeal stout made with Captain and Stoker coffee.
Captain & Stoker Collab “Oat Captain, My Captain”
- Peter B’s Brewpub celebrates 25 years!
Celebrate With Us!
Now that we’ve shared our favorite Peter B’s memories, we’d love to see yours! Tag Peter B’s Brewpub in your favorite memories, past or present, on social media, with #PeterBsTurns25. Also, remember to join us on September 18th at 2pm-10pm for an exciting event!