Walk Your Way Through Monterey
Walk Your Way Through Monterey
When visiting the Portola Hotel & Spa in beautiful, Monterey, California you are truly in the center of it all. With the popular Coastal Recreation Trail just steps from our doors, set your fitness apps, because there’s no doubt you will be exceeding all your daily goals. Walk, bike or jog your way to some of the Monterey Peninsula’s most popular destinations.
When planning your day, make sure to bring along a hat, lightweight jacket, good running or walking shoes and your camera or phone – because along the way, the photo opportunities will be endless.
Take a gander at our 10 most favorite places to walk to, from the Portola Hotel & Spa!
1.Old Fisherman’s Wharf – literally steps from the Portola, overlooking the Monterey Bay, visitors will enjoy tasty clam chowder, shopping, candy stores galore, awesome views & more!
The Wharf Chocolate Factory
2. Historic Cannery Row & the Monterey Bay Aquarium – the inspiration for many of famed author, John Steinbeck novels, this landmark is filled with history and world class attractions. Home to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, you can spend an entire day exploring, shopping, eating and gallery hopping.
3. Casa Verde Beach – you may recognize some of the views from this beach from HBO’s Big Little Lies series. Nestled among sand dunes, this beach is dog friendly and a great location to spot dolphins and other marine life.
4. Dennis the Menace Park – perfect for kiddos of all ages, Dennis the Menace Park is located in the heart of Downtown Monterey, just a few blocks from the Portola. With sweet slides, swings, monkey bars and even a maze, this City park can bring out the kid in anyone!
5. Lake El Estero Park & Paddle Boats – located adjacent to Dennis the Menace Park, stroll on over to Lake El Estero and get a bit of an extra leg work out by renting paddle boats. In addition, there is also a picnic and barbecue area, as well as baseball field, where you can catch an Amberjacks’ Game May through September. The Amberjacks are a professional baseball team in the Pecos League of Pro Baseball Clubs.
6. The Point Piños Lighthouse, Pacific Grove – you’ll definitely get all your steps in when walking to the Point Piños Lighthouse on the coast of Pacific Grove. Open Thursday through Monday, 1-4pm, take a tour of the oldest, continuously operating lighthouse on the West Coast.
7. Downtown Monterey Shopping District – located right outside the main entrance of the Portola Hotel & Spa, Alvarado Street is always bustling. From cool boutiques to ice cream and frozen yogurt shops and even a Poke place – there’s always something fun to see and eat on Alvarado. Every Tuesday afternoon, the street closes for the Old Monterey Marketplace Farmers Market, featuring fresh, local produce, flowers and delicacies.
Fresh Local Produce at Farmers Market
8. The Pacific House & Old Whaling Station Garden – just right outside the Portola, take a journey back in time by visiting the Pacific House Museum, as well as historic gardens set amongst adobes. Visit the Old Whaling Station Garden and Memory Garden and take a moment to smell the roses.
9. Colton Hall & the Monterey Museum of Art – just a short walk from the Portola, visit the City of Monterey’s City Hall set in the historic Colton Hall. With a museum on site, as well as a large lawn, this landmark is one of the many historic jewels in our City. Across the street you will find the Monterey Museum of Art, which showcases a diverse collection of American and early California paintings, photography and contemporary art.
Bears at Colton Hall
10. Lovers Point Beach Park, Pacific Grove – another backdrop for the upcoming second season of Big Little Lies, Lovers Point is an idyllic beach cove located right along the Coastal Recreation Trail. Rent a Surrey Bike from Adventures by the Sea, here at the Portola, and head down the trail to spend a day of kayaking, swimming and playing at the beach. Picnic and barbecue areas are also located above the beach.