Yo Ho, Yo ho, a Pirate’s Life for Me!
Traveling with the kiddos can be a challenge, but through my personal experiences I have found if they feel comfortable and have a little extra entertainment, it seems to make traveling as a family a bit less stressful. Our family travels quite a bit, but the one place our kids ask to return to time and time again is the Portola Hotel & Spa. Even though it’s a staycation for our family – there are two things that our kids always remember – the warm chocolate chip cookies and the Portola Pirates Program.
Portola Pirates with their Bounty
Designed for kids between the ages of three through twelve, the Portola Pirates Program includes a self-guided treasure hunt throughout the property, celebrating Monterey’s rich cultural and nautical history and upon each additional stay families can earn some cool perks and prizes.
Portola Pirates on a Treasure Hunt
- Voyage 1: Your first stay at the property includes a souvenir Portola Pirate Bag and self-guided treasure hunt map to buried treasure.
- Voyage 2: Your second stay at the property includes a voucher for a complimentary root beer float in a souvenir Portola Pirate Mug at Jacks Restaurant or Peter B’s Brewpub.
- Voyage 3: Your third stay at the property includes a voucher for complimentary admission to MY Museum, the Monterey County Youth Museum in downtown Monterey.
- Voyage 4: Your fourth stay at the property includes a Portola Pirate t-shirt.
- Voyage 5: Your fifth stay at the property includes a Pirate Party in your guestroom for up to ten friends under the age of twelve years old. Enjoy pizza, sweets and pirate goodie bags with complimentary rental of a Wii gaming system. Parent supervision is required.
So in preparation for your next voyage to the Portola and in celebration of Talk Like a Pirate Day this past week on September 19, here are a few pirate-themed sayings to help as you prepare to set sail!
Ahoy – a friendly greeting
Arr! – an exclamation
Aye – yes
Bounty – a hefty reward
Blow me down! – when one is surprised or shocked
Buccaneer – a fellow pirate
Doubloons – gold coins
Landlubber – an inexperienced sailor or a clumsy person
Loot – stolen belongings or treasure
Matey – a friend
Old Salt – an experienced sailor or pirate
Sail ho! – when a ship is visible over the horizon or nearby
Seadog – an old pirate
Spyglass – a telescope
Scallywag – an inexperienced pirate/rookie
Thar She Blows – when one sights a whale
Yo Ho Ho! – an expression used to get one’s attention