PORTOLA HOTEL & SPA CONTINUES ITS COMMITMENT TO SUSTAINABILITY WITH NEW REDUCED WASTE CONFERENC ES
Monterey, CA – January 31, 2019 – Portola Hotel & Spa, Monterey’s first U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED® Certified Hotel, is proud to offer meeting and event planners the opportunity to create sustainable and eco-friendly meetings with the addition of new Reduced Waste Conferences.
Located on the scenic Monterey Peninsula and surrounded by the natural beauty of Northern California, Portola Hotel & Spa has always taken pride in the environment, making a conscious effort to support the green initiatives of the community in addition to implementing ecofriendly initiatives at the hotel.
“Reduced waste conferences are a great way to communicate to meeting attendees the importance to conserve natural resources,” says Janine Chicourrat, General Manager at Portola Hotel. “We partner with the meeting planners to implement a variety of green practices, and we are able to communicate to attendees how they can contribute. A great example of this is offering reusable aluminum can water bottles instead of plastic bottles. We host groups of over 1,000 attendees, so the reduction of plastic water bottles over a three day event can be in excess of 4,000 bottles.”
Portola Hotel & Spa is dedicated to hosting successful and effective Reduced Waste Conferences and does so by requiring a commitment from the hotel, the meeting planners, and attendees of the conference.
The Reduced Waste Conference Commitments:
Portola Hotel & Spa Reduced Waste Conference Commitment
- Create awareness about the Reduced Waste Conference to attendees through Passkey/Group Reservation System and key packets at check-in
- Environmentally friendly vendor and exhibit company suggestions
- Source organic and sustainable ingredients from local farmers and vendors throughout Monterey County and keep compost on the farm (reduces carbon footprint)
- Utilization of china, glassware, and silverware replacing the use of to-go cups
- Track daily waste diverted by the Kitchen, Housekeeping, and Banquet departments
- Composting of pre and post-consumer waste
- Additional assistance provided by Banquets to separate recyclable and compostable materials from going to the landfill
- Post meeting recap including waste diverted from landfill, list of local farmers and purveyors where food was sourced, and carbon footprint analysis to be provided via email by the Catering & Conference Services Manager
Meeting Planner Reduced Waste Conference Commitment
- Confirm menu selections with your Catering & Conference Services Manager 14 days prior to conference start date to allow for proper selection and purchase of products
- Use of biodegradable badges and conference materials or reuse badges offering an opportunity to return conference badge for future use
- Use of audiovisual equipment for presentations opposed to printed handouts
- Educate and encourage attendees to participate in sustainability practices while at the conference (reusable water bottles)
Reduced Waste Conferences are now available for meetings and events held at Portola Hotel & Spa for up to 900 attendees. For more information, please visit portolahotel.com/green.
ABOUT PORTOLA HOTEL & SPA
The AAA Four-Diamond, Portola Hotel & Spa in Monterey, CA was one of the first U.S. Green Building Council LEED® Certified hotels on California’s Central Coast. The full service hotel offers guests a rich, historical ambiance, with residential style and dedicated staff to ensure an unparalleled guest experience. The Portola Hotel features 379 well-appointed guest rooms, ranging from 400 to 1,000 square feet. Portola boasts an expert event planning staff and over 60,000 square feet of meeting space with the adjacent Monterey Conference Center. Portola Hotel is also home to the Monterey Peninsula’s original craft brewery, Peter B’s Brewpub, The Club Room and Monterey’s newest dining hot spot, Jacks Monterey, and hosts an award-winning 6,000squarefoot day spa. Spa on the Plaza offers beautifully appointed treatment rooms and an extensive spa menu of signature treatments. Overnight guests also have access to the hotel’s spa and fitness facilities, complete with a steam room, sauna, outdoor pool, and jacuzzi.
For more information, please visit portolahotel.com.