The Best in California Green Hotels
Monterey's Premier Environmentally Conscious Hotel
Portola Hotel & Spa has a history of supporting our environment and has participated in several programs dedicated to conserving environmental resources. We are honored to be LEED® Certified by the U.S. Green Council, and to be the first truly “green” hotel in Central California in the “Existing Building” category to attain this high level.
We are a proud participant of several local and national environmental programs, including the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch® Program, Organics to Energy Monterey Regional Compost Program, Ag Against Hunger Produce Gleaning Program, Save Our Shores Adopt-A-Beach Program (Del Monte Beach), TripAdvisor GreenLeaders Gold Level Program, and the California Green Lodging Program.
Learn more about our environment hotel and our green initiatives below.
GREEN INITIATIVE HIGHLIGHTS
At Portola Hotel & Spa, all of our guest rooms offer a variety of environmentally conscious amenities and features. Our rooms are equipped with LED lighting, Energy Star® televisions and mini refrigerators, low flow faucets, showerheads, toilets and urinals, bath amenity products made from renewable and biodegradable materials, as well as hypoallergenic and organic mattresses.
Our Monterey Bay green hotel has made significant strides in improving our carbon footprint. Learn about some of our current initiatives below.
- Guest rooms offer Open Water aluminum water bottles, a recyclable water bottle alternative to encourage an ocean-friendly practice of reducing the use of plastic at the hotel
- The Club Room, Jacks Monterey, and Peter B’s Brewpub serve local, organic, and sustainable cuisine, and use Bio-Pak take-out containers and compostable cups
- Eco Product® straws provided upon request at our on-site restaurants is made from Polylactic acid (PLA) or “corn plastic,” plant-based plastic – not oil. All PLA products are compostable in commercial compost facilities, which helps to divert waste from landfills
- Peter B’s Brewpub changed operations to save over 41,000 gallons of water a year and recycles mash from brewing the brewing process to local farmers and growers
- The Club Room carpet is made from sheep wool and the backing is a natural jute and latex, all of which are rapidly renewable materials, the carpet is 100% compostable at the end of its useful life
- We always purchase safe, sustainable products and materials, including recycled office supplies
- VOC material and paint throughout the hotel is low VOC
- We utilize a green cleaning program that uses H2O3 system to clean and disinfect guest rooms without any harsh chemicals
- Portola Hotel & Spa guests have an opportunity to offset 100% of their carbon footprint from traveling to Monterey by purchasing Renewable Energy Credits through the Carbon Calculator
REDUCED WASTE CONFERENCES & EVENTS
We are proud to offer meeting and event planners the opportunity to utilize sustainable and eco-friendly Monterey meeting space through the Portola Hotel's Reduced Waste Conference Program.
Our sustainable meeting space features include hosting Reduced Waste Conference and meetings for groups up to 500, composting post-consumer organic wastes, recommending environmentally friendly vendors and exhibit companies, utilizing China, glassware and silverware to replace disposable utensils, providing organic and sustainable menu options, as well as offering team building activities with a focus on environmental awareness.
GREEN AWARDS & NEWS
We are proud to have won the following awards for our environmental and sustainability-focused initiatives:
- Smart Meetings Magazine, Smart Stars Award for Best Eco/Green Hotel 2015-2021
- California Hotels & Lodging Association's Good Earthkeeping Award 2017 & 2021
- Governor’s Environmental and Economic Leadership Award (GEELA) 2011
- California Integrated Waste Management Board’s WRAP (Waste Reduction Awards Program) Award 15 years in a row
- Monterey Bay Area Green Business Program’s Green Certification
- Monterey Bay Area Green Business Program’s Green Certification (Jacks Monterey, Peter B's Brewpub, and The Club Room) since 2019
- Save Our Shores 2013 Business of the Year Award for keeping our beaches clean
- Portola Hotel & Spa earns U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED®-EB Certification January 2011
- Portola Hotel & Spa receives LEED® Recertification June 2015