Camille’s Gentle Cleanse, Guest Post by Camille Malcolm, Spa on the Plaza
When was the last time you craved a salad? If you can’t remember, it might be time to realign your eating habits with a cleanse. One of the many benefits to a cleanse is that unhealthy cravings diminish afterwards. Even a short, 3 day cleanse is a reboot to your system and need not be difficult. Ready to take the challenge? Begin with stocking your house with the following ingredients:
1. Kefir-Kefir is a fermented drink made with milk and grains. It has beneficial probiotic organisms that cleanse the intestine, balance the intestinal flora and destroy pathogens such as e-coli, and parasites.
2. Flax seeds-Flax seeds are also excellent for cleansing. They absorb water and expand as they pass through the colon and literally scrub toxins.
Flax Seed, Photo Courtesy of Camille Malcolm.
3. Chickpeas (soaked over night)– Any legumes work and are perfect for a cleanse because they are filling and a savory alternative to meat. They are also an excellent source of protein, B vitamins, iron, zinc, magnesium and potassium.
4. Miso-I use miso as broth flavoring. The nutrients found in miso include vitamin B2, vitamin E, vitamin K, calcium, iron, potassium, choline and lecithin.
Quinoa, nutty flavor and delicious. Photo courtesy of Camille Malcolm.
6. Vegetables – of choice for soup. Onion, parsley and celery are warming and aid digestion.
7. Salad makings-lettuce, carrots, avocado, onion. Any favorite green choice is fine.
8. Olive Oil & Balsamic vinegar & garlic-for salad dressing.
9. Cayenne, salt, pepper-for flavor and to aid digestion.
Friday Day One Caution: Do not over eat in anticipation of the cleanse as the cleanse is short and you don’t want to spend the whole time recovering from a binge.
Before bed. Mix the 1/3 cup of kefir with 2-3 Tbs. of freshly ground flax seeds. A coffee grinder works, or a pestle.
Saturday Day Two
Breakfast. Start your day with a fruit salad of your choice. Whatever is in season. Add 7-12 almonds, 6-8 walnuts, 2 Tbs. of dried coconut flakes and a sprinkle of freshly ground flax seeds. Pour the kefir over the fruit salad. You should be full when you are done but not stuffed.
Lunch. Lunch is your biggest meal and includes a delicious savory soup. Sauté diced onions and a head of celery in a small amount of olive oil until soft. (About 15 mins.) Finally add 1/2 cup of chopped parsley, 3 cups chick peas, a quart of water, vegetables and seasonings to taste.
Dinner. Salad and grain of your choice. I like a full avocado as it satiates my craving for fat. Other favorite salad fixings include onions, carrots, peppers, olives and anchovies.
Salad Dressing. Mix 3 Tbs. of Olive Oil with 1 Tbs. of Balsamic Vinegar and 1 ground garlic clove. Pour over the grain and salad for a spicy flavoring.
Before Bed. Mix the 1/3 cup of kefir with 2-3 Tbs. of freshly ground flax seeds.
Sunday-Day 3 Repeat day 2!
Monday morning wake up and feel the difference. Ease in to your week and listen to your body.
Photo Courtesy of Camille Malcolm.
Follow Camille’s Blog at Camillemalcolm.com