PORTOLA HOTEL & SPA PARTNERS WITH THE MONTEREY REGIONAL AIRPORT FOR EARTH DAY (APRIL 22)
Monterey, CA – April 6, 2015 – The Portola Hotel & Spa will be partnering with the Monterey Regional Airport to celebrate Earth Day. On April 22nd, from 11AM to 3PM Portola Hotel & Spa staff will be stationed at the Monterey Regional Airport Baggage Claim area to give away reusable bags made of 100% recycled materials. The phrase “I used to be a plastic bottle” will be printed across the reusable bags as a friendly reminder of the utility that comes with recycling. Portola Hotel & Spa will also be giving out reusable bags to guests checking into the property on Earth Day while supplies last.
“Portola Hotel & Spa deeply values sustainability,” said Janine Chicourrat, General Manager of the Portola Hotel & Spa. “Earth Day is the perfect opportunity to remind individuals of the importance of our environment and how we can all make a difference.”
Portola Hotel & Spa’s giveaway is an extension of their onsite eco-friendly practices, as well as a show of support for Monterey’s Single Use Plastic Carryout Bag Ban. The effort of this ban seeks to help the City of Monterey reach its GHG (greenhouse gas emissions) reduction target as required under the Mayor’s Climate Protection Agreement. The ban prohibits all Monterey retail stores from providing customers with single-use plastic carryout (shopping) bags.
The hotel shows additional support for The City of Monterey’s commitment to promoting a sustainable future with their pledge building “green”. Portola Hotel & Spa currently holds the U.S. Green Building Council’s (USGBC) Silver LEED® certification for Existing Buildings Operations and Maintenance and has been selected as the first participant in the prestigious LEED® recertification process.
Some of Portola Hotel & Spa’s existing ecofriendly efforts include:
- Almost 20% of the hotel’s employees commute using alternative forms of transportation including biking, walking, and public transit.
- Native and adaptive plants that are drought-tolerant and provide habitat are placed throughout the property.
- In order to eliminate the hotel’s contribution to ozone depletion, all refrigerants containing CFCs have been phased out. Portola Hotel has purchased Renewable Energy Credits equivalent to 100% of yearly energy, which supports renewable energy generation offsite.
- At least 25% of food purchases are local or sustainable. Portola Hotel is diverting approximately 78% of waste from landfills and conducts an annual waste audit to identify areas that can be further approved. To ensure a healthy and productive environment for the
- Portola Hotel staff and guests, an annual survey on occupant comfort and general cleanliness is conducted.
A large part of Monterey’s appeal is the pristine beauty of its coastline and Portola Hotel & Spa takes an active interest in preserving it. In addition to the green choices the hotel makes onsite, Portola Hotel & Spa hosts four beach cleanups a year through their partnership with Save Our Shores, which is a nonprofit marine conservation organization whose mission is caring for the marine environment through ocean awareness, advocacy, and citizen action. Their next beach clean-up is slated for next beach cleanup is July 6th at 3:30pm.
ABOUT PORTOLA HOTEL & SPA
Portola Hotel & Spa is AAA Four Diamond rated and Monterey's first and only US Green Building Council LEED®EB certified hotel. The full-service hotel offers guests a rich, historical ambiance and dedicated staff to ensure an unparalleled guest experience with every stay. The hotel features 379 nautically inspired guestrooms and suites, ranging from 400 to 1,000 square feet.
Portola Hotel & Spa is home to Jacks Restaurant & Lounge and Peter B's Brewpub, the Monterey Peninsula's original craft brewery. In addition, overnight guests have access to the hotel's spa and fitness facilities, complete with steam room, sauna, outdoor pool and Jacuzzi. The 6,000 square foot Spa on the Plaza offers 10 treatment rooms and an extensive spa menu of signature treatments.
For more information please visit: portolahotel.com/